Phishing texts and emails posing as Fr. Neil Herlihy have been received by our parishioners. Please just be skeptical of all text and email messages saying they are from Fr. Neil. These are NOT legitimate requests. Please ignore, block the sender and delete these messages.
Report phishing and scam emails and texts
Here are two government web pages that talk about phishing and scam emails and how to report them.
- USA.gov: www.usa.gov/stop-scams-frauds
- Federal Trade Commission: www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0038-spam.
Phishing Text Recommendations from the FTC
- Don’t text back. Legitimate companies won’t ask you to verify your identity through unsecure channels, like text or email.
- Don’t click on any links within the message. Links can install malware on your device, and take you to spoof sites to try to get your information.
- Report the message to your cell phone carrier’s spam text reporting number. If you’re an AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint or Bell customer, you can forward the text to 7726 (SPAM) free of charge.
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. Your complaint can help the FTC detect patterns of wrong-doing.
Read the full page at: