Interested in becoming a Sponsor, but unsure if you ‘know’ enough? Don’t worry, you do not need to be a theologian to be a sponsor. You just need to have the heart to accompany someone on his or her journey into the Catholic Church. You will attend class each week, which takes place on Sundays from 10:30-11:45 AM in Corbett Hall. In addition, there will be a few classes that take place on other days. You will receive the full schedule at the orientation. There are also specific requirements that need to be met in order to be a sponsor and they are as follows.
Sponsor Requirements at Saint Brigid
- 16 years of age or older, and
- is fully initiated into the Catholic Church (i.e., received Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Communion), and
- is not the father, mother, spouse, fiance, or boy/girlfriend of the person being sponsored, and
- sincerely believes and strives to put into practice the Word of God as taught by the Catholic Church, and
- regularly takes part in the Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation, and
- if married, is married in accordance with the requirements of the Catholic Church.
If you have any questions, please contact Deacon Leo Gahafer to find out more information about being an Baptism/RCIA sponsor.