Scheduling a Baptism at Saint Brigid
Parish Registration: Parents of the child to be baptized should be registered members of Saint Brigid Church. If you are not yet registered, please register at the Parish Office or complete the online registration form on the Saint Brigid website. If you belong to another parish, but wish to have the baptism at Saint Brigid for family reasons, you will need a letter of permission from your pastor.
Baptism Class: Parents are required to attend a Baptism Preparation Class before the baptism.
The class is scheduled one Sunday a month from 3:15-4:30pm in the chapel.
Baptism Class Dates for 2022:
Jan 16, Feb 20, Mar 20, Apr 10, May 15, June 12, July 17, Aug 21, Sept 18, Oct 16, Nov 20, Dec 18
- To Reserve your Class: Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your space in a class. Include the names of all who will be attending and the date of the class you wish to attend.
- Class at another Parish: You may attend a baptism preparation class at another parish if necessary. You must provide a letter or verification of attendance from that parish indicating the class date.
- Class needed for 2nd child? Parents are asked to attend a class for each child, not just their oldest child* (*if you attended a class in the past 24 months you can receive credit for that one)
Scheduling a Baptism
Baptisms at Saint Brigid are private family baptisms, scheduled in the Adoration Chapel at the following times:
- Saturday mornings: 10:30 & 11:30am
- Saturday afternoons: 12:30, 1:30, 2:30 & 3:30pm
- Sunday afternoons: 2:30 pm & 3:30 pm
We recommend that you check with invited friends and family member about their availability before selecting a specific date. Plan to arrive at the church 10 to 15 minutes before the scheduled time.
Email the Baptism Coordinator, Kathy Hogan at email@example.com for more information and to request your child’s baptism.
If you wish to ask a Priest or Deacon from another parish to officiate at the baptism, please contact your clergy first to confirm his willingness and availability. Then either you or the clergy should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule the baptism.
Requirements for Sponsors (Godparents)
At baptism, the sponsor (or Godparent) begins a life-long relationship with their godchild by praying for and supporting their godchild in faith, as well as providing an example of the Catholic faith in action. Hopefully the godparent and godchild will develop a close personal bond as well.
You may choose one or two sponsors for your child. Only one is necessary. At least one sponsor must be an active, practicing Catholic (see qualifications below). The other godparent may be a Christian of another denomination.
The Catholic sponsor must meet all four qualifications:
- Be a practicing Catholic and a member of a parish.
- Be at least 16 years of age.
- Have received the Sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist, and Confirmation in the Catholic Church.
- If married, must be sacramentally married in the Catholic Church.
The Catholic godparent must provide a sponsor certificate signed by the pastor of the sponsor’s home parish.
Children receiving the Sacrament of Baptism should be dressed in a white gown. The Parish will provide the Baptismal Candle and a Baptismal Bib as a symbolic gifts from the Parish.
A Certificate of Baptism will be provided at the baptism or mailed to shortly afterward. Please keep this certificate in a safe place. It will needed when registering for religious education or preparing for future sacraments.
We look forward to helping you plan your child’s baptism!
How To Request a Duplicate Certificate
Duplicate Baptism Certificates are provided upon request. Please allow 10-14 days for the certificate to be prepared and signed by the pastor.
To request a certificate, email Kathy Hogan at email@example.com
Please include the following information:
- Full Name of Baptized Person
- Their date of birth and city of birth
- Date of baptism (approximate is fine)
- Father’s Full Name
- Mother’s Full Name (include maiden name)
- Your email address (a scanned copy will be emailed to you)
- Mailing address for the hard copy (the hard copy will be mailed to the address you provide)
Questions? Email Kathy Hogan at firstname.lastname@example.org.