Scheduling a Baptism at Saint Brigid
Parish Registration: Parents of the child to be baptized should be registered members of Saint Brigid Church. If you are not yet registered, please register at the Parish Office or complete the online registration form on the Saint Brigid website. If you belong to another parish, but wish to have the baptism at Saint Brigid for family reasons, you will need a letter of permission from your pastor.
Baptism Class: Parents are required to attend a Baptism Preparation Class before the baptism.
The class are usually scheduled on the 3rd Sunday of the month from 3:15-4:30pm in the chapel.
In 2021, baptism classes will be on:
Jan 17, Feb 21, March 21, Apr 18, May 16, June 13, July 18, Aug 15, Sept 19, Oct 17, Nov 21, Dec 19
- To Reserve your Class: Email email@example.com to reserve your space in a class. Include the names of all who will be attending and the date of the class.
- You may attend a baptism preparation class at another parish if necessary. You must provide a letter or verification of attendance from that parish indicating the class date.
- Parents must attend a class for each child, not just their oldest child. (note: If you have attended a class in the last 24 months you can receive credit for that one.)
Scheduling a Baptism
Baptisms at Saint Brigid are private family baptisms, scheduled in the Adoration Chapel at the following times:
- Saturdays: 10:30 am, 12 noon, 1:30 pm, and 3:00 pm
- Sunday afternoons: 2:30 pm and 4:00 pm
The Baptism party should arrive at the church 10 to 15 minutes before the scheduled time. We recommend that you check with invited friends and family members before selecting a specific date.
Email the Baptism Coordinator, Kathy Hogan at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to request your child’s baptism.
If you wish to ask a Priest or Deacon from another parish to officiate at the baptism, please contact your clergy first to confirm his willingness and availability. Then either you or the clergy should contact email@example.com to schedule the baptism.
Requirements for Sponsors (Godparents)
At baptism, the sponsor (or Godparent) begins a life-long relationship with their godchild by praying for and supporting their godchild in faith, as well as providing an example of the Catholic faith in action. Hopefully the godparent and godchild will develop a close personal bond as well.
You may choose one or two sponsors for your child. Only one is necessary. At least one sponsor must be an active, practicing Catholic (see qualifications below). The other godparent may be a Christian of another denomination.
The Catholic sponsor must meet all four qualifications:
- Be a practicing Catholic and a member of a parish.
- Be at least 16 years of age.
- Have received the Sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist, and Confirmation in the Catholic Church.
- If married, must be sacramentally married in the Catholic Church.
The Catholic godparent must provide a sponsor certificate signed by the pastor of the sponsor’s home parish.
Children receiving the Sacrament of Baptism should be dressed in a white gown. The Parish will provide the Baptismal Candle and a Baptismal Bib as a symbolic gifts from the Parish.
A Certificate of Baptism will be provided at the baptism or mailed to shortly afterward. Please keep this certificate in a safe place. It will needed when registering for religious education or preparing for future sacraments.
A duplicate baptism certificate can be provided up request. Please allow at least 10-14 days for the certificate to be prepared and signed by the pastor.
Click here to request a certificate:
We look forward to helping you plan your child’s baptism!